Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Breakfast Awesome


So I realized I haven't actually posted any reviews of everyday things that have made my life easier/better/prettier - so let's get on that!

The other day, we were at the local Target, which has suddenly transitioned into a full grocery store with fresh produce and meats. Amazing! We decided to forgo our trip to Trader Joe's and grocery shop at Target instead, since we were already there anyway. We had to fight the crowds, but I love grocery shopping with my husband. It's always fun. I don't know why.

Anyway, there was a BIG photo of a delicious looking English muffin hanging from the ceiling, and I was like, "Damn, I really want an English muffin!" I am VERY susceptible to advertising, which is why I can't watch tv after 1am - too many infomercials. We had also just listened to an episode of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me which had gone into detail about nooks and crannies.

I traipsed over to the bread area, but there were NO English muffins! Sadness! Never one to dwell, I picked out the above strangely intriguing Thomas's Bagel Thins instead.

Okay, so these things have 110 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 5 grams of fiber. Not bad!! But don't get too excited. These are not the toasty, crispy, delicious bagels I am used to eating every morning from Coffee Bean. These are not those tasty Asiago Cheese calorie bombs from Einstein's (mmmm). These are not even grocery store bagels. No, these are pieces of bread masquerading as bagels with a hole in the middle. Alas! It's kind of like someone split half of a bagel in half and told you that was the bagel. Like you'd be easily fooled by that and not realize you're eating less than half of a real bagel.

Despite all this, I've been taking these bagels to work all week and eating them instead of my usual Coffee Bean bagels. It's saving me money, and although these bagels are not completely delicious, they are still tasty. I spread a little low-fat cream cheese between the two pieces, wrap with foil, and I'm good to go. It also keeps me full for a long time!

So, for saving me calories and money and still filling me up, I give Bagel Thins a 7 on the Awesome Meter. It ain't a bagel, but it also ain't bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment