Sunday, November 11, 2012

Arm and Hammer Whitening Booster Review

I'm kind of crazy about oral hygiene.  I notice teeth and smiles first when I meet new people.  I had two (yes, two!) sets of braces as a child.  So it makes sense that I'm into whitening products.  I've tried several different kinds of whitening sets, and while I find that the "traditional" type - ones that use clear, gel-covered pieces of plastic that sit on top of your teeth for a certain amount of time - do work, they tend to be messy, goopy, inconvenient  and pricey.  I always feel gross pulling off the plastic, and I end up missing days because I just forget to put them on.  Lately, they also hurt my teeth and gums.  I wouldn't consider myself to have sensitive teeth, but perhaps the whitening products are just getting stronger.  Anyway, because they cause a dull ache, I haven't used white strips in a while.

I noticed a teeny, pinprick-sized stain on a tooth the other day and decided it needed to be eliminated, ASAP.  At the drugstore, I scanned all the usual whitening suspects, but then I saw something different: Arm and Hammer Whitening Booster.  At $5 for a smallish tube (2.5oz), it was a much cheaper option than white strips, so I decided to give it a try.


The booster is a clear, mostly tasteless gel, not unlike the stuff on the back of the white strips. You put the normal amount of toothpaste on your toothbrush, then add a dab of the boosting gel and brush as usual.  It seems to foam a bit more, but it doesn't affect the taste of the toothpaste, and you can use whatever toothpaste you prefer.

The booster says it contains 3 times the whitening action of strips, and it recommends that you brush with it twice a day.  I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now, and I've actually seen a difference.  The stain is all but gone, and my teeth generally look whiter.  I did not experience any pain at all, likely because the gel is sitting on your teeth as long.  I think the tube will last for quite awhile; I haven't made a dent in it yet.  It also encourages me to brush for longer to get the full effect, so that's a plus!

I'd recommend giving this a try if you're looking for a whitening product.  It's not a big investment, and it's very easy to use.  I just keep it on the bathroom counter with the toothpaste; it's not much effort to add the gel in the morning and at night.  Sure beats watching the clock while wearing those slimy white strips!

I bought mine at CVS, but you can buy them at almost any drugstore, or online here for $4.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment