Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 2012 Birchbox - Goop Review!

Goop goop bedoop!

When I heard that Birchbox was doing a collaboration with Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop.com, I figured I'd opt into it.  I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of Goop; I've looked at it before, and it just seemed very focused on expensive and pretentious things.  Seriously, have you heard Gwyneth fawn over the fact that her kids like vegetables?  I mean, barf me.  And they can only watch TV in French or Spanish?  Good luck with that.  Anyway, they have some recipes, too, but they're a bit too fussy for me.  Oh, and they sell stuff, but today's main item is simple gold hoop earrings for $795.  It's not gonna happen, Gwenny.  Sorry.  However, the collaboration Birchboxes always seem somewhat better than the regular ones, and since Goop specializes in upscale stuff I can't afford, I figured maybe I'd get a little taste of it.

I've gotten off-track.  Let me show you what I got this time around.  I'm actually very pleased with it!

Ooh la la!

First up is a full-sized Essie nail polish, the Goop pick (is it just me, or does the thought of a "goop pick" make you think about Gwyneth digging for nose gold? No? Just me? Okay then).  I've gotten a lot of polishes since starting up with Birchbox, which is great because I hate buying them.  I've yet to use an entire bottle of polish.  Since I've been getting all these samples, though, I've probably saved a lot of money in manicures! This dark red is definitely classic and will work for fall and winter, and once my current gel nails are off, I'll give it a go. Full size: $8.

Next is a tiny vial (5 ml) of Joanna Vargas Daily Serum, which promises to brighten your skin with various vitamins.  My skin is mega dry right now thanks to a nasty cold, so I'm looking forward to trying it.  Full size: $85.

Next, Marie Veronique Organics Body Oil in an adorable itty bitty jar.  It has a vaguely fruity smell and is meant for use on skin, not hair.  I have been getting a ton of oils from Birchbox, and while I don't mind them, I hardly ever use them in their entirety.  I find it really hard to get the oil out of the jar or bottle - there's never a pump or easy way to dispense it!  Full size: $36 (and the full size DOES have a pump, huzzah!)

There is also a Sprout Lip Balm in Cocoa.  These come in a pack of 4 and are all-natural.  I slicked this on as soon as I opened the box - my lips are majorly chapped, again, from that icky cold, and the balm offered relief.  It goes on soft and smooth and isn't at all waxy or sticky.  After one application, my lips felt much better.  It doesn't have much of a smell - is it meant to be chocolate?  Or is it just cocoa butter?  Unclear!  The other "flavors" are cinnamon, peppermint, and citrus, all of which sound appealing to me.  You can get a pack of 4 for $18.

Lastly, I received a Luna Bar in Lemon Zest.  I do like Luna Bars, or, as I call them, lady bars, but I'm not a lemon fan.  Nope, not lemon meringue, lemon bars, or lemon cake.  I'll probably give this a try anyway, but I can tell you that I love the caramel nut brownie and peppermint stick flavors!!  Nom.  This is the "extra," and you can buy 15 for $18.75 via the Birchbox site.

Not a bad haul, I'd say!  I definitely think I got my money's worth this time around and will continue to subscribe to Birchbox.

You can use my referral link to subscribe to Birchbox, too - $10 per month, and you earn Birchbox points - redeemable for products in their store - for every item you review and everything you buy!  I've gotten lots of free or mega-discounted products by vigilantly reviewing everything I get and saving up my points for a beauty splurge!




No comments:

Post a Comment